Original artwork from The Strange Likeness to be sold Oct 2014
Lindsay Sutton Stroh, the youngest daughter of author Margaret Sutton and the executor of her estate, will sell the original illustrations from The Strange Likeness on Ebay auction starting on October 1, 2014 under Ebay seller name "lindsay19990". The four pieces, which have all been signed by the artist, Marjorie Sutton Eckstein, will be sold separately. They are on acid proof illustration boards. The cover is watercolor, and the three internals are pencil sketches done with floriographic pencil. The lettering for the cover was added later by the publisher, Applewood Books, and does not appear on the original artwork.
Margaret Sutton gave the book, the 39th volume of the Judy Bolton Mystery Series, its title, main characters, settings and the beginnings of a plot, and co-authors Kate Duvall and Beverly Hatfield combined their creative talents to expand the plot and write an intriguing mystery that has delighted Judy Bolton fans. The book was edited by Lindsay Stroh. Her Ebay seller name is lindsay19990.
2014 Judy Bolton Weekend
October 10-12 in Coudersport, Pennsylvania
Since 1991, fans have gathered in picturesque Potter County to explore the real life sites that served as inspiration for the Judy Bolton Mystery Series, to discuss the books, and to honor the author, Margaret Sutton (1903-2001). The author was born Rachel Beebe and raised in Odin and Coudersport, Pennsylvania. This year, the Judy Bolton weekend activities include:
Friday, October 10
- 4:00 PM – Meet and greet reception, Westgate Motel lobby, 307 Route 6 West, Coudersport, PA 16915. Wine and cheese reception honoring the memory of Margaret Sutton and her Judy Bolton books. Buy tickets here for lunch during the Saturday tour.
- 6:30 PM - Farmer's Delight Dinner at a 19th century historic farmhouse built by Margaret Sutton’s father and grandfather, $14, advance reservation required by October 8, 2014. Call Ilene Altenheim at 814-274-9798 with your name, phone, and number of people attending. Pay at the door.
- 8:30 PM – Westgate Motel media/conference room, 307 Route 6 West, Coudersport, PA 16915. Activities include series book sales, an overview of this year's featured book, "THE MARK ON THE MIRROR," and presentation of the Susabella Passengers and Friends 2014 Margaret Sutton Writer's Award.
Saturday, October 11
- 9:00 AM-3:30 PM - Tour of the real Judy Bolton sites. Peg and John Rotello direct this tour which includes lunch at the Austin School where the students created a Judy Bolton mural. Bring your cameras! See the sites that inspired the series locales such as the dam, the Potter House and the Farringdon-Pett mansion. A collection of the author’s original artwork and other items of interest to Judy Bolton fans will be on display at the Potter County Historical Museum. Early October is the perfect time to enjoy Potter County's fall foliage!
- 6:00 PM –Dinner at a local restaurant, to be announced later.
- 8:00 PM - Westgate Inn Conference/Media Room. Series book sales including a collection of books autographed by the author to be offered during a silent auction. The highlight of the evening will be the Annual Judy Bolton Trivia Contest about "THE MARK ON THE MIRROR.” Laughter guaranteed!
Sunday, October 12
- If you are staying at the Westgate Inn, enjoy the complimentary breakfast and a last chance to visit with Judy Bolton fans.
For reservations at the Westgate Inn, call early (814) 274-0400 www.westgateinn.net
THE STRANGE LIKENESS, #39 in the Judy Bolton series is available!
The title and some of the plot elements were created by Margaret Sutton before the series was cancelled. Based on conversations with Margaret Sutton and her family plus extensive research, coauthors Kate Duvall and Beverly Hatfield were able to expand the original plot, re-creating the magic of Judy and her friends as they pursue a criminal who resembles Judy’s husband. The book is illustrated by Margaret Sutton's daughter, Marjorie Sutton Eckstein, and edited by another daughter, Lindsay Sutton Stroh. The release of the book was celebrated in Margaret Sutton’s hometown, Coudersport, Pennsylvania, during the annual Judy Bolton Days, October 5-6, 2012.
The book has been published in paperback ($14.95) by Applewood Books. A limited number of hardbacks (250 copies) were also available ($24.95). To order your copies, call Applewood Books at 1-800-277-5312 or visit www.applewoodbooks.com.
All 38 Judy Bolton Titles Available from Applewood books!
All 38 of the Judy Bolton Mysteries by Margaret Sutton are now available in paperback from Applewood books. They were laser copied from the first editions of each book, courtesy of the author's family.
Look for them at your favorite bookstore! You can also purchase them on Amazon.com.
Memories of Margaret Sutton and the Judy Bolton Mysteries
University of Minnesota Children's Literature Research Library on August 10, 2011. You can listen as they share their memories of actual events that inspired the Judy Bolton mysteries by going to the following link: http://bit.ly/oGu8RV
MELISSA OF DRY BOOK HOLLOW or The Great Roulsville Flood
Thus begins the manuscript which was submitted to publishers by Rachel B. Sutton along with a second manuscript, MELISSA MOVES TO TOWN or Adventures in a Haunted House (published as The Haunted Attic). Both the main character and the author were renamed, and Margaret Sutton's Judy Bolton Mystery series went on to become the longest lasting juvenile mystery series by an individual author.
The fragile pages of these two yellowed manuscripts, including handwritten revisions, have been copied and are now being bound into one volume and offered for sale by the author’s family...
The volume containing both manuscripts will be printed in March 2011 based on pre-paid orders. To order, send $25 ($20 + $5 S&H to USA before February 28, 2011 to:
Lindsay Stroh, 311 Stafford Drive, Catonsville, MD 21228
Margaret Sutton Artwork
To view or order more of Margaret Sutton's artwork, click here.